Last Updated: January 27, 2023
How We Use Your Information
Friends of Chris Murphy is committed to protecting your privacy online.
When you register, contribute, sign up to volunteer, or take any other action on our Site, we may ask you to give us contact information, including your name, address, telephone number and/or e-mail address. We may obtain information about you from outside sources and add it to or combine it with the information we collect through this Site. We use this information to operate this Site, send you news and information to you about Friends of Chris Murphy & to solicit your participation in Friends of Chris Murphy programs, events and activities, and obtain and confirm RSVP’s to events and programs. We use your e-mail address to send such information by e-mail and may use your telephone number to call or text you for these purposes.
If you decide to purchase tickets to an event or to make a contribution online, we may also ask for your credit card number and its expiration date (which may be collected directly by a third-party processer). We use such information solely for processing your contribution; do not maintain that information; and never disclose it to anyone, for any other purpose other than for processing your contribution, under any circumstances.
In addition, the Federal Election Commission (FEC) may require us to collect certain personal information from donors. For example, the FEC requires us to collect (and disclose to them) the name, mailing address, occupation, and employer of all individuals whose donations to Friends of Chris Murphy exceed $200 per election cycle.
How We Protect Information You Provide
Friends of Chris Murphy uses industry standard security measures to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of the information under our control. Our server is located in a locked, secure environment. Although we make good faith efforts to store information collected by this website in a secure operating environment, we cannot guarantee complete security.
Sharing of Information
- With vendors, service providers, volunteers, and consultants who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- With organizations, candidates, campaigns, groups, or causes that we believe have similar political viewpoints, principles, or objectives or share similar goals and with organizations that facilitate communications and information sharing among such groups;
- With other participants in a joint fundraising committee;
- To report required information to the Federal Elections Commission, including name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employers of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 in an election cycle (for additional information, visit the FEC website at http://www.fec.gov);
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- When we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims, or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of Friends of Chris Murphy, its employees, volunteers, constituents, or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization or formation of a new committee or successor organization, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction, or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of Friends of Chris Murphy;
- With your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used by those third parties to identify you.
The above excludes text messaging originator opt-in data and consent, which information will not be shared with any third parties, provided that the foregoing does not apply to sharing (1) with vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf (and who will not use such information for their own purposes); (2) if we believe disclosure is required by any applicable law, rule, or regulation or to comply with law enforcement or legal process; and (3) if the user consents to our sharing of such information.
Links to Other Websites
Social Sharing Features
The Site may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button, which let you share actions you take on our Site with other media, and vice versa). Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on your privacy settings for the relevant social media site. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
About Cookies, IP Addresses and Log File Data Cookies
A cookie is a piece of data stored on the user’s hard drive containing information about the user.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Server Log Files
We log standard technical information, such as your IP address and the kind of browser you use. We log this information for troubleshooting purposes and to track which pages people visit in order to improve the Site. We do not use log files to track a particular individual’s use of the website.
You may request that we update, correct, or delete the information you provide to us by emailing us at [email protected]. However, note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
How to Unsubscribe or Opt Out
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails or text messages from Friends of Chris Murphy by following the instructions in those emails or text messages. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Transfer of Information to the U.S.
Friends of Chris Murphy is based in the United States and is directed to U.S. residents, and we process and store information in the U.S. If you are located outside the U.S., we, and our service providers, may store, access, or transfer your information to jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction.
How To Contact Us